Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Deal or No Deal

My daughter is obsessed with this show. Every time it comes on my daughter wants me to text message in to try and win $10,000 dollars. Then she asks me again and again, "How many American Girls can we buy with $10,000?" Oh yes, my daughter can't get enough of American Girls right now. Anyway, my kids love to try and play along with Deal or No Deal even though they don't understand. They cheer, laugh, wince and get so excited. They think daddy should go on the show!

I was just thinking that my faith walk these days seems like Deal or No Deal. I have the opportunity every day to take the Deal that God blesses me with or to say No Deal and hope for a better option. I find myself saying, "No Deal. I came here to play!" I am finding that it is a challenge for me to trust that God has my best interest in mind when I arise and He has His best for me each day. He is just awaiting my agreement. "Take the Deal," he whispers. "The other cases will only cause you disappointment, you may lose everything. Take the Deal."

My agreement. All I have to do is say "yes" to God and he showers me with His overwhelming best for the day. The best thing about God is that He loves me even when I close the lid on Him and opt for something besides His best. A friend of mine recently pointed out a scripture in Hebrews that had been speaking to her. Hebrews 4:15 in the Amplified Bible says, "For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation..." We have a High Priest who can sympathize with our weaknesses! He knows we are weak and he has sympathy! I am so glad that God knows my liabilities and does not hold them against me. He can change me and help me grow but He understands that some days I may choose poorly and say, "No Deal."

I have been saying "NO DEAL" to God a lot over the last couple weeks. In my weakness I think that God must be cruel to allow me to suffer or to seemingly ignore my requests. A scripture in Proverbs talks about how two people can only meet if they agree about it. I am in a place where I need to come into agreement with God's word even if I'm not feeling it. God's promises may not seem like they are yes and amen but my job is not to figure it out or ask why. My job is to wake up every day and take the Deal. God's Deal...or like scripture puts it, "come take up your cross and follow me" (Mark 10:21). No options given, just simple direction. "Take the deal."

No comments: