Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Vacation

Ah. Vacation. We just recently returned from a fabulous vacation to Kansas. Some of you might be thinking that fabulous and Kansas don't belong in the same sentence but my sister and her husband found a great little spot that is pretty close to paradise. They live in a suburban-like neighborhood but have rolling hills (yes, in Kansas) just a quick jog away. Okay, yes I started jogging again. I went with my brother-in-law up these rolling hills on our vacation and I had to intercede for myself the whole way! But I loved it!

Vacation is so necessary. It is the returning home that I don't care for. On the way to Kansas the fun little game of, "Are we there yet?" is exciting and cute. On the way home it is more of the, "Don't ask me again, I said!" sort of feeling. The laundry and housecleaning, cooking and errands all seem to overwhelm when the garage door goes up after returning home from vacation. Back to the daily grind. Literally for me because I drink my lattes every morning!

The thing that I always find difficult on vacation is bible reading and prayer. Who wants to set an alarm to get up early on vacation? With all of the fun activities I know that my quiet time goes to the back burner. "I'm on vacation, God. I'll be back next Wednesday and I will meet with you then." Just typing that out was painful. I'm not thinking that God is really down with that, do you? I wonder if my return trip would have been filled with more patience and less frustration if I didn't cross out God on my vacation? (I have been thinking that I should write a book entitled, "God on Vacation" filled with short devotions that would fit in to our busy vacation schedules. If I write it, you have to buy it!)

When I sat down to do my devotions today it was difficult. It was like trying to ride a bike that has sat dusty in the garage all winter. It takes a lot more effort, a little more elbow grease and a lot more concentration than during the summer when you ride practically all day. (We just got our kids new bikes and watching them learn to ride is whole different blog! Pray for us!) What did I miss those couple days away from God. What might He have wanted to tell me that could have impacted my life even today? Maybe you think that I am making a mountain out of a molehill but I have lived the consequences of days spent apart from God. One day turns into three and before you know it priorities become completely mixed up. I know God knows my heart and my intentions but I seem to remember that good intentions don't really lead anywhere that I want to go.

All of this to say that I am SO VERY THANKFUL that God is faithful even when I am not. He never takes vacation Hallelujah and He is quick to forgive and restore. He spoke to me today, something that I am sure He has been trying to tell me for a week now. You see, I have been doing a bible study entitled, Believing God, and as part of that Bible study I was suppose to fast something. I was also suppose to wear a blue bracelet to remind me of that commitment. Guess what? My bracelet is waded up on my bathroom counter and my commitment to be positive for 30 days did not make it through 9 hours in the car with my kids on vacation. Now as I am starting over I read today that I was suppose to journal "God Stops" or ways that I am seeing God's presence in my day. I can't expect to see Him when I ain't lookin'! (Sorry about the grammar there but it just seemed to get my point across better!)

Anyway, today I found myself overwhelmed, underfed spiritually, alone and just plain in the mully grubs. I talked with my husband about it, complained to God and wasn't the greatest mom to my kids. I took my kids to library and had forgotten my library card. The kids were crying and I was trying to talk on my cell phone. I couldn't hear and they didn't care. I got off the phone and out of my car and just wanted throw in the towel. Just then, as my son walked ahead of me and my daughter behind she said, "Hey mom, I just want you to know that I am here. I know that you can't see me right now because I am behind you, but I want you to know that I am here." Even though my daughter said those words to me, I knew that God was speaking them right along with her. I know that God goes before us, but his word also says that he follows behind. Just like my daughter was doing. I couldn't see God or hear Him but He wanted me to know that He was the I AM. The God who is constantly and presently being.

Thank you Lord that you never leave us. Thank you that you never take a long weekend or a day off. Help me, Lord as I try to reprioritize after leaving you by the highway while I traveled on down the road. Thank you that you speak to us and reveal yourself to us as long as we can STOP long enough to see you. Continue to speak, continue to show your self to me. Help me where I am weak and weary. Help me to trust in your strength and not my own!

No comments: