Saturday, August 04, 2007

Skirts Up

A friend of mine recently posted on her blog some pictures of her family visiting a wax museum. The museum was filled with replicas of famous people. One of the pictures was my friend's daughter standing next to Marilyn Monroe in that well known "skirt-flying-up" pose. I don't know the story behind that whole deal as it is a bit before my time, but of course I know of the picture!

Anyway, I thought of that picture this morning as I read a passage in Genesis. Rachel and Leah are fleeing with their husband Jacob and Rachel had stolen her father's idols before they fled. Her father catches up to them and in a long speech he reprimands them for stealing his idols. Jacob is unaware that Rachel had stolen them and had them hidden under her skirt. When being searched for the idols Rachel says to her father, "Please sir, forgive me if I don't get up for you. I'm having my monthly period" (Genesis 31:35). Ha! What an excuse!

Besides Rachel's cunning lie, I was intrigued with why Rachel stole her father's idols. Maybe this is obvious to you, but I found myself convinced that Rachel believed in her heart that just in case Jacob's "God" didn't pull through, she had a contingency plan. She had doubt in her heart. She didn't know Jacob's God as he knew Him. "Just in case we get in a bind, daddy's 'gods' could help us out" is what I see her thinking.

The application here to me, is what "contingency plan" do I have hidden up my sleeve or skirt as it were? Just in case God doesn't come through, I will strive. Or just in case things don't work out I will make a plan of my own. Just in case I'll just sit on this one.

With Almighty God we don't need a contingency plan. He is the "All Sufficient" God. The God who told Abram, "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers" Genesis 17:1-2). God Almighty doesn't fail, doesn't fall short, doesn't need help, never sleeps, never changes and never leaves. Wow. Do you know this God? Do you know Him intimately?

Search my heart oh God. Reveal any idols that I have hiding in my garments. Help me to abandon any other gods and cling to the One True God. Goodness and mercy, righteousness, peace and joy unspeakable become my companions when I turn and embrace fully, with no inhibitions, the one TRUE God! I love you Lord. Be my everything today.

No comments: