Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What's Your Spin

As a mom I feel like I have been, correction, I have learned to put a positive spin on most anything. My daughter was convinced this morning that her hair-do made her look like a boy or made her look bald. Huh?? She left with my husband crying, (she was crying...not my husband :) ) convinced that kids would laugh at her. Now for your information I just braided her hair this morning. Then I tied the braids together with a cute flower barrette. I even took a mirror to show her the pretty barrette. Yet she still left crying. "Kids are going to laugh at me. I'm nervous." I told her she looked absolutely beautiful and promised her that her teacher would think the same.

As I prayed this morning, I felt the Lord impressing on me something. We can really "spin" our circumstances in any light to people. Here is what I mean: If my daughter goes into her class today saying to her friends, "I look bald," I can almost bet that her friends would agree or say, "Yeah, I see what you mean." But if my daughter instead went into her class with confidence and said, "Don't you love what I've done with my hair today. It is unique," she might have gotten a "Wow. I like your hair," comment instead.

I spoke to a couple people yesterday about a situation and spun it very negatively each time I spoke about it. Should I be surprised that I was many times affirmed in my negativity, "Oh yes. That does sound bad." I wonder what would have happened if I approached this sharing in a "God is so good. He is helping me with this. I am doing well by His grace." I doubt that any friend would retort, "It is not as good as you think, friend. You should be upset because what you are going through is hard."

My heartfelt prayer and earnest desire today is that God would give me a positive, firm confidence. I want to approach life with a contagious "God is good" attitude regardless of my circumstances. If I want positivity I need to sew it. If I want truth in feedback I need to sew seeds of THE truth. I can do all things through Christ. I am going to walk with assurance the path before me and allow HIM to be my guide not my emotions. Forgive me Lord for valuing others opinions over your infallible word.

No comments: