Saturday, December 08, 2007

Risk

I am not a gambling woman. Not a surprise to any of you I am sure. I am a terrible risk taker. I could never bet it on a chance. I am a have-to-have-all-the-details-before-I-decide kind of woman. I ask questions or surmise things in situations that my husband just laughs and says, "Are you kidding me that that actually crossed your mind?!" All of this being said, I am not saying that taking a risk is a bad thing. Gambling is bad. Real life risks can be good.

I took a risk this week. I'd love to tell you that I went base jumping or something exciting like that. In a way though, I had the same butterflies in my stomach. I was able to be completely vulnerable and eat crow with a good friend of mine. Eating crow is a hard thing to do and it never tastes good. I do know that it feels good to be humble. It feels good to say, "I blew it." No excuses. Just, "Please forgive me."

It is amazing how time changes our perspective. God has been challenging me in ways that I never really acknowledged that I needed to be challenged in. For instance, selfishness, insecurity and a critical spirit. Yep. A pastor's wife that isn't perfect. That describes me to a T. I need work. When we acknowledge our weakness, we don't have to pity our selves or feel bad about how far we have to go. We get to rejoice in the strength of Almighty God to change us. He does the work, we do the believing.

My risk didn't necessarily result in a miracle. It did begin a change though. I know that I have done what God let me to do. The results are up to Him. I think with each risk or step of faith we take with God it gets easier. Not easy but easier. I had a second opportunity to take a risk this week. I had the same butterflies. I had to humble myself again. It didn't feel good at the time but I feel closer to God as a result. Not because He moved closer but because I know that I can't go through this life with my weaknesses without a Warrior God to come in and rescue me...mostly from myself.

Dear Friend of mine, if you read this blog, please know how much I appreciate your willing heart to listen and forgive. You made eating crow a graceful thing. May God bless you for your heart of compassion and understanding.

By the way, Body by God has become a little bit more like Body by Chocolate to me lately. I made Cranberry Almond Bark yesterday. Not a good thing to do when you are tyring to avoid sugar. But, today is a new day with new grace and another chance to eat less sugar...or not.

No comments: