Sunday, July 15, 2007

Blessed

It's early Sunday morning. My son awoke shortly after 6 a.m. He had been awake about midnight because he had to go potty. This has become a regular thing for my little angel. He is trying so hard to make it through the night with dry pants. Despite the middle of the night urges, I am so proud of him.

I took my bible and my devotional outside into the sunshine. It was warm but a cool breeze made it comfortable. My neighbor came out and we exchanged greetings. I decided to serve my kids breakfast outside. I prepared everything and then herded my little lambs out to the table. Of course my son needed his sun glasses. So upstairs I went to rummage through baskets of toys in search of his sun glasses. I knew if he had some that my daughter would need some too. So even though I had victory in finding one pair I really needed two. I succeeded and headed back outside. How wonderful to enjoy waffles and cold vanilla milk on the patio. This wonderful feeling lasted for about 2 minutes. Then the whining started. Things like, "It is burning out here" or "I don't want vanilla milk, it's too yucky" filled the air. I managed to get my kids fed and then we came back inside.

I enjoy being in the sunshine. I rather agree with cats, that in the sun is the best place to nap. Living in the spirit is a lot like walking in the sunshine; it is the most wonderful place to be. But I can't help but make the connection between my kids' whining and the tendency of our flesh to crave something more "comfortable." A devotional I read challenged me to come up higher, to leave the low life behind. What does this mean for you today?? My prayer is that God will illuminate those things in me that hinder, those sins that easily entangle. I want the sun to be comfortable and the shade to be the place that I desire to leave quickly.

As I sit here and look at the precious gifts I have in my children, even though they don't enjoy the patio like their mom, I am overwhelmed with God's blessing. I have a home. I have a wonderful, loving husband and I enjoy great health. Thank you Lord for all of the blessings in my life. Help me to keep my focus on the "haves" and to set aside the "have nots." Help me to keep my eyes on the Source and my feet on the path in the sun. As the temperature rises, quietly remind me that you refine and sanctify me because you love me enough to cause me to grow! You are amazing God.

No comments: