Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Non sun burn

Okay, so I know and remember the constant night waking with being pregnant. I have to pee at least once a night. But last night when I woke up I felt like my face was on fire. For some reason it did not bother me at 3 in the morning. I just went pee and went back to bed. It takes me like 5 minutes to resettle and get my pillows just right so I don't roll over on my back like I am not suppose to. Then I have to adjust pillows so my neck doesn't get a kink. Then, it seems like baby decides to do the flip flops or kung fu. Ugh. Preparation for the sleepless nights to come :).

Anyway, when I got up finally this morning I glanced in the mirror as I went by. Not only was my face on fire but it itched and was like crab red. We are not talking like cute pink been in my garden for the afternoon but like an "Oh my goodness what happened to that lady" red. Upon further inspection, the places that were red not only itched but were swollen. Holy cow. I didn't sign up for this!

I had decided that because I was out of the facial cleanser that I had been using that I would try another that had the "NEW" label on it. I have said before that I am a sucker when it comes to trying new things. If I don't try it I will never know if it was a miracle product that might put all my others to shame and do things that I never knew were possible with skincare. So, I couldn't just buy the new cleanser, I had to do the whole line...cleanser, toner and moisturizer. Now it was very apparent to me that I was possibly allergic to one of the ingredients in one of the items. Okay, very deathly allergic.

My husband woke up and he said, "It looks like your face has some sort of chemical burn." Okay, I had just spent the last 10 minutes inspecting my face in the mirror trying to convince myself that in more natural light it couldn't possibly be as bad as I thought. I guessed wrong. I tried washing my face gently and that only made it itch. I took a shower, same story.

My husband has said to me again and again, "Why do you switch products. Why don't you stick with what works. I don't understand you." So back to the store I went to buy the old tried-and-true cleanser (which happens to be an extra gentle cleanser). I don't really know what I was thinking. I was eager to just give something new a try and was sure my skin could handle it. Let me tell you, the walk back to what really works is a long walk back...you can guess where I am going.

The spiritual implication that I can make is simple: Mess with fire and you are going to get burned. Stick with the truth and you won't be disappointed (or itchy and swollen!).

No comments: