Friday, February 19, 2010

The Feats of Daily Life

This morning I met my husband at Starbucks for a little mid-morning date. He has a busy day and weekend ahead so we snuck away, with 2 little ones in tow as one is home sick from school, and headed to our favorite spot. Of course, once we got inside there was nowhere to sit. Scratch that. There was one table couched between a couple of businessmen and 2 women engrossed in a serious conversation. I can picture it now, "Excuse me, I know this table here is meant for 2 but my husband and I would like to sit down with our 18 month old and our sick 6 year old to enjoy (not) a quiet (not hardly) cup of coffee (smile). Not going there.

So, we opted for picking out our coffees and heading back to the car. Of course as I asked about what type of drip they had available the employee mumbled, "Something, something, Guatemala." I declined and just asked for Pike Blend. My husband then jokingly said, "My wife doesn't like Guatemala...the country." Of course the employee looked at me and I said, "That's not true." Funny. Ha. Ha. I love my husband's sense of humor. I don't know if the employee was quite as indulgent.

Anyway, I got my coffee fixed up with raw sugar and lots of cream (By the way, nonfat milk ruins a good cup of coffee. Anything but cream should be outlawed). We looked around one last time and headed to the car. Of course my 18 month old wanted to walk so he tries to jump out of my husband's hands while he is balancing his coffee. In the process my son dropped his cookie on the floor and cried when we whisked it away to the trash (Can't quite wrap my mind around the 5 second rule). I grabbed my husband's coffee from him and he wrestled our youngest out the door to the car.

Ahh. Here we go. Now we can enjoy quiet conversation while we sip our way too expensive coffee. Moments into the conversation my youngest alternated between cries for more cookies and grunts that told me I would be getting out of the car shortly with a fresh diaper. (My son is on antibiotics so that means messier diapers for us. Yippee). Okay. Out of the car I went in the balmy 22 degree weather to grab a diaper out of the back. I took my son out of his seat and laid him in the chair next to his. Of course the sun was in his eyes so I had to shut the door and crouch down in the 2 foot square space left when the door was closed. I managed to get the job done and get my son back in his car seat. Hopped back out of the car and threw away the diaper in the outside trash bin and headed back to the front seat.

Once inside I grabbed the purell and then my coffee. My coffee was now lukewarm. Now where were we. We had a few spare minutes to try to chat before my husband had to go. We saw some friends walk by and waved hello from the inside of the van. Of course we explained why we were sitting in the van out site Starbucks. After the goodbye to the friends it was time for my husband to go. What a date.

As I drove away towards Target, my second favorite store, I glanced in the rear view mirror to find my 18 month old fast asleep. Ugh...........How did this happen! I had to change my plans and head back home all while devising a plan in my head of how to get him out of his parka and car seat and how to pry the bag of cheerios out of his hand while keeping him asleep.

Anyone who has attempted to keep a sleeping baby asleep from car to crib knows my pain. It isn't any easy feat. This was going to be my Olympic event today. I got home and motioned to my 6 year old to be quiet. I then opened the door where my youngest was sitting. A large number of Cheerios heralded my arrival. I was able to pry the baggie loose. I got both buckles open. Now the tough part. Getting baby out. Check. We have success. I headed upstairs while trying to devise the plan on the removal of the parka. I quietly unzipped. Waited as he started to stir. Shew. Close call. I then pulled one arm loose. Again I waited. Almost there. I laid him in his crib and cringed. Okay. We are okay. I took a deep breath and pulled his other arm out of his parka. Ta Da! I did it. I tiptoed out.

So far today I enjoyed a date in my mini-van, changed a diaper in tight spaces and kept a sleeping baby asleep. Tomorrow I might climb Mt. Everest.

2 comments:

Bob Cook said...

I love the incredible way you made an every-day story come alive; I felt like I was there with you in Starbucks, in the car, and at home.
You write so very well, SJ; love you, lady.
So sorry to hear you don't like Guatemala! And nonfat milk; does Grammy know this?
Hope Zeke had a good nap, and I also hope Elijah gets to feeling better.
Dad Cook

rjoshcook said...

She's lying - she really does hate Guatemala . . . the whole country!