Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hair Dye

I still remember the first time that I got my hair colored...If you can call it that. Sorry mom, but I think the first "highlight" wasn't one of the 'highlights' of my life. I distinctly recall a boy named Justin asking me how it felt to go from a brunette to a blonde overnight. Let's just say that the highlight was more like dumping a plate of spaghetti on my head. I'm not sure that my mom and I really thought the color process through. I have a very fair complexion and extremely dark hair which most people thought was black in seventh grade. So, when I decided that I wanted highlights I didn't think about perhaps doing a lighter brown. Nope, we did blonde as blonde could be. If I had a picture I would add it here. It was horrible!

Well, my hair coloring days didn't end there. In fact, I think once you start coloring you are locked in. You can't just color and then say, "I'll never do that again." You see, there are these horrible things called 'roots' which keep growing out on the crown of your head. If you don't recolor when they start to rear their ugly heads, then everyone knows that your Mocha Brown number 27 isn't the color that you were born with. So thus begins the cycle of color, recolor. Maybe my sister and I are an anomaly, but we think it is kind of fun. You go to the store, sometimes the beauty supply store if you are feeling like you can color like a professional, and you can pick any color from platinum blonde to silvery pink, almond to jet black. I have never tried anything crazy, other than the spaghetti highlight episode. Nevertheless, I always get excited to pick out my color and take it home. I step into the bathroom, shake the color and developer together, apply, wait, (hold your breath from the smell) and voila. I exit the bathroom a new woman....Well not really. But it still makes me feel pampered. As my hairstylist says, "color gives you a little somthin, somthin." Whatever that means.

I am so very thankful that despite my transformation from blonde to light brown to jet black, God's word says in Matthew 10:30 that He has the very hairs on my head numbered. I try to make it difficult for Him by frequently changing the color of those hairs, but that doesn't stop Him! In fact He alone knows how many grey hairs I have plucked from my head! (Another great reason to color your hair!!) Anyway, God's word talks about our value in this passage. Our God knows the intimate details of our lives and He goes further than just knowing, He delights in the details. He cares so fervently for us and tells us that because of this, we never need be afraid.

I don't know what you are facing today. Maybe you just woke up in a slump or maybe you are dealing with a really tough situation. Take heart in knowing that God knows your name, your original hair color and how many of those hairs there are on your head. He has great rewards for those who continue to persevere under great pressure and during long trials. Another one of my favorite scriptures talks about God having our names tattooed on the palms of His hands. He never forgets. His love never fails. If only hair color never did.

No comments: