Friday, May 05, 2006

Sneaky

My daughter will probably end up in some sort of spy job when she is older. She has the ability to sneak down the stairs and tip toe across the room to right beside me without me knowing. It is only when I get that feeling that someone is watching me that I turn to see her. I try not to get upset with her but I end up so scared every time she does it that I find it difficult not to. She thinks that sneaking up on me is a very funny thing.

It is neat, however, to see that my daughter has begun to really think about the sneaky thing. She was playing with her dinosaurs the other day and I stopped to listen to what she was saying. One of the dinosaurs knew Jesus but none of the rest of them did. So the one who did know Jesus was teaching the others about how to ask Him into their hearts so they would be "safe from sin." I told her daddy of course about this incident and he asked her some questions like, "What is a sin?" Without batting an eye she responded, "being sneaky."

My husband and I just looked at each other and smiled. "Well said," I responded. Although there are some sins that arise from being sneaky, sin itself is sneaky. Remember the story of Cain and Abel. Cain was angry that God did not accept his sacrifice. God said to Cain, 'Why are you so angry...Why do you look so dejected? You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master" (Genesis 4:6-9 NLT).

How do we "subdue" sin? We must be alert at all times. I have learned how to periodically look behind me to make sure that my daughter is not about to frighten me. Even more so, I need to be prepared for the temptations that knock on my door. When I am ready for battle, the enemy is powerless over me. You know what my daughter does when she sees I am ready for her to sneak up to me? She runs.

No comments: